Wednesday, May 7, 2014

“Enjoy my Africa:” A Brief Meditation on Privilege and Travel

This week it was my turn to write the blog post for the CIEE blog. Here's what I submitted:

             I won’t speak for everyone, but personally I chose to study in Botswana in order to “immerse” myself in a new culture, to experience a lifestyle much different than my own back in the States. I imagined a process of assimilation, and the myriad local friends I would make. I imagined people would be eager to share their culture and their learning spaces with me, just as I would be with them back home.

                I knew I would stand out, but I didn't realize how much it would matter.

             Whether we like it or not, Americans symbolize something; white Americans symbolize something else; white American women symbolize yet another conglomeration of ideas. American media is largely to blame, which many young Batswana voraciously consume. During various social encounters, I realized that my actual attributes were often overshadowed by assumptions, and that I would have to persistently usurp these ideas in order to truly get to know a local student. In only a few cases were my attempts successful.

                A friend of mine told me that dating or otherwise “getting with” a white and/or foreign student is a status symbol, which partly explains why a vastly disproportionate number of men approached me for “friendship.” Early on I also noticed a trend among my passing exchanges with female students: even when I smiled and tried to be friendly, some women would simply glare at me. My friend told me that the dating scene among people our age is highly competitive and possessive, and because of the privilege of being white and American, I was perceived as a threat. Young women feel, as my friend put it, that “when you guys are here, [the guys] forget about us.” Privileges related to race, class, and nation of origin all intertwine to influence the ways Batswana think about Americans and judge desirability. Foreign/Western media is extremely influential, as is the more general phenomenon of cultural imperialism evident in Botswana as well as other low-and-middle income nations.

                Many American students express discomfort about being referenced as “makgoa”—literally, “white people.” In a conversation with one of my friends, I expressed a similar confusion and frustration: casually singling someone out based on race is completely unacceptable in most contexts in the U.S. He laughed, and told me not to worry about it; the term isn't necessarily an insult, in fact he said it carries the connotation of “boss.”

                So while it’s tempting to explain less-than-friendly treatment of American students as “racism,” I think such an explanation is myopic and reactionary.  Racism is institutionalized oppression that often manifests in micro-interactions, which in turn reinforce institutionalized oppression in a vicious cycle. White people quite simply are not victims of racism in Botswana—or anywhere I would argue. We might resent the stereotypes, the misconceptions, etc., but when it comes down to it, white foreigners still figure prominently in Botswana’s private sector and of course in globalized American (and European) media.

                 I believe a more nuanced explanation of tense interactions with Batswana would be that Batswana have varying reactions to our privilege, and the oblivion of many of those who possess it. Many members of the study abroad group have expressed annoyance with local friends or acquaintances asking for money. Many of us insist that we are not “rich” as Batswana imagine based on stereotypes of the U.S. And while I am often quick to point out to my local friends that there are many poor people in the U.S., I know that I am not one of them, nor are any of my American peers.

                While in Gaborone, Americans may be heard exclaiming about their cravings for sushi or lattés, or discussing their latest adventure on the coast of Mozambique. In contrast, I have met people in Botswana who have never been out of the country, who have never seen the ocean, who have never even been to the northern region of the country to behold the Okavango Delta. I know students who are still struggling financially despite the fact that tuition is free and stipends are provided for living expenses.

                Before my most recent trip with fellow CIEE students, a local friend said to me: “enjoy my Africa.” My heart sank. I understood. I realized why many local students find Americans unapproachable. I realized why some students are hesitant or embarrassed to share aspects of Setswana culture, and instead try to fit in with us. The world over, consumerism and “the American dream” have directly exploited the global South. The U.S. and other world powers have created a climate of “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” in terms of global capitalism. And as critical as we may be of our country, countless people want to be there. Africa has a legacy of being treated as a commodity: for human beings and raw materials, for tourism, for stories told back in the comfort of high-income lifestyles.We have the power and privilege to travel all over the world, to commodify the process of “experiencing another culture,” reducing said cultures to trendy products we can consume. From the comfort of American citizenship, middle- and upper- class incomes and English language proficiency, it seems that nothing is off-limits as potential material to make young Americans’ lives more “interesting”—or at least make our lives seem more interesting on social media or coffee dates back in the U.S.

                As young exchange students, we have not created the world in which stark disparities exist between many American students and Batswana students. But with our privilege we have the responsibility to understand and redress these disparities. I believe a true “global citizen” does more than exclaim over a love of “ethnic cuisine” or regale friends and family with stories from exotic locations. I believe he or she understands the interconnectedness inherent in residing on this planet, guided by forces historical and contemporary, and actively seeks awareness of his or her place within that reality. This aspect of travel may be less glamorous, and less easy to convey over Facebook, but I believe that’s what makes it all the more important.

                I would encourage everyone to watch a TED talk by novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie called “The Danger of a Single Story,” which can be found here: 



                I would also highly recommend a book by William Powers titled Blue Clay People. I just finished it, and (although Powers sometimes frustrated me) I feel it has a lot of great concepts to consider for those who want to work in low and middle income countries in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment